Pakoszów, late Baroque estate located in a quiet area between Piechowice and Jelenia Góra. It is extremely interesting to combine the palatial character with the functional use of the object as a linen bleaching plant. Since April 2012, the property, which was housed in earlier years, such as a children's home and owned by private owners, functions as a hotel. Learn our history!
Since the late Middle Ages, linen products were the most important product in the economy of the Jeleniogórska Basin. They were produced mainly by the work of hands of peasants, women and children Especially in the Jeleniogórska Basin, a special thin canvas called a voile was woven.
Emperor Ferdinand II in 1630 granted privileges to the city of Jelenia Góra, which contributed to the development and rapid economic growth of the Jeleniogórska Basin. In 1638 the Chamber of Commerce was founded. To this society belonged only native merchants, who at the same time had to control the compatibility of the quality of products.
From the members of the merchant society developed an aristocracy of merchants, not inferior to the ancestral aristocracy and equally prosperous. These so-called “lords of voile” could afford to erect costly merchant houses, which served as warehouses and transhipment centers and had mostly on floors large halls for representational purposes.
The title most important representative of the merchant aristocracy was Christian Menzel (1667-1748), who belonged to the most prosperous inhabitants of the city, and also owned the most beautiful house in the center of Jelenia Góra. It was Menzel who contributed most to the construction and financing of the Evangelical Church of Grace, one of the most beautiful Churches in Silesia. In addition, he also funded organs that can still be listened to today and which can be admired in full glory.
Formerly the site was part of the Schaffgotsch estate. The conversion to a Baroque palace took place in 1725 thanks to Johann Martin Gottfried (1685—1737), later mayor and member of the church board, brother-in-law of the deer flax merchant (“Schleierherrn”) Christian Mentzl (1667— 1748).
The palace, together with its mansard roof consisting of a rectangular lump and side projections, has a late-Baroque southern facade. The ground floor has simple vaults. Upstairs living and representation rooms with a large banquet hall, the ceiling of which is covered with allegorical frescoes. Prussian king Frederick II visited the palace in 1759, 1777 and once again in 1785.
Subsequent owners were Georg Friedrich Smith (1703—1757) and from 1771 Heinrich Hess (1745—1802), merchant and director of the sugar factory in Jelenia Góra. It was at this time that the name Biellowery Hessa became established.
The building has been used for residential purposes and as a flax bleaching house. Materials were on the ground floor soaked in vats, rinsed and laid out on meadows to dry. The water needed for this purpose was drawn from the Kamienna River flowing past. The so-called water privileges necessary for this purpose were granted by certificate by King Frederick II in 1777. The whitewash for economic reasons was converted in 1856.
During the time of Heinrich and Erdmuthe Hess (1755—1808), the Palace was a gathering place for many intellectuals; it was visited by, among others;
poet Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock, the carkonese painter Sebastian Carl Christoph Reinhardt (1738—1827), councillor Johann Joachim Christoph Bode, war adviser Jonae and John Quincy Adams, later President of the United States of America.
After Heinrich Hess's death, the palace passed into the possession of his cousin, Johann's adopted son Daniel Hess (1764—1854). Later landlord dealing with the martial judiciary Daniel Hermann Hess (1815—1884), working as a lawyer in Jelenia Góra used the Palace as a summer residence. The last occupants were Margarethe Drewes, from the house. Hess (1872—1939) with her husband pastor Hans Drewes and seven children. The Pakoszowska whitewash remained in their rule until 1945.
As the aftermath of the war, almost all of Silesia passed into Poland. The owners of Pakoszow were expropriated by Polish authorities. Subsequently, the palace was used for various purposes- among others as a children's home. It later remained empty. Since 1 September 1959, the palace has been listed on the list of monuments at 630/619.
The grandson of the last owner Hagen Hartmann (born 1941 in Wrocław), acquired in 2005 the property, which was owned by a private Polish owner. With the help of architect Christopher Jan Schmidt between 2008 and 2012, he adapted it for hotel functions, restored and expanded it.
A recreation of the Baroque Hall with its illusionistic and allegoristic paintings was taken by the Dresden painter Christoph Wetzel, who also renovated the Baroque dome of the Dresden Frauenkirche. The original painting, which has not been preserved until the present day, was painted by Baroque painter Johann Franz Hoffmann.
The walls of the rooms were decorated with portraits of the mayors and patricians of Jelenia Góra. The most valuable room is a living room with a preserved sandstone fireplace and 18th-century Delft tiles. Next to the palace has been reconstructed the eastern part where the Wellness area is housed with a small pool. The palace is surrounded by about 18.5 hectares of large green space, three ponds are laid on the north side, used earlier as fish ponds. The whole was launched on 1 April
2012.Today the site is used as a palatial *****hotel, restaurant and for cultural purposes. The grounds as well as the historical rooms of the palace are made available to visitors from outside. As the next step of Pakoshov's cultural development, an exhibition about the production, manufacture and operation of high-quality linen products from the turn of the seventeenth century is planned.